Poverty Alleviation through Self-reliant Development (PASD) approach’, Kapilbastu district, 2000-2003
The project was implemented in Kapilbastu district from 2000 to 2003. The project aimed to develop social capital, strengthen the capacities of groups and institutionalize them so that the communities can change their own destiny. The principle activities of the project were awareness creation, community infrastructure development, skill training, income generation and women and child development. The major objective of the project was to organize poor to enhance their self-help capacity, raise income level, and improve quality of life of the community as well as improve their physical infrastructure facilities. The specific objectives of the projects were as follows:
• To organize the poor, disadvantaged and deprived people into self-help group and enhance self-help capacity, promote self-reliance and facilitate institutional development of the beneficiaries.
• To enhance awareness level of the community thereby develop group solidarity, cooperation and consciousness of kind among them
• To support for improving physical facility as well as creating productive infrastructure
• To provide technical assistance and impart technical know-how in order to make the agriculture, horticulture, livestock development and entrepreneurial activities thereby increase income level and generate productive self-employment
• To facilitate gender empowerment child development through facilitating genders sensitive development, child schooling and adult literacy
• To integrate the development efforts with local governance process through developing complementarily with the service delivery agencies, elected bodies and other partners at the local level.
The project covered 2,274 households which were organized into 92 IG groups that were federated under 12 cooperatives.
Donor: Royal Danish Embassy